SANParks says it will strengthen security measures in isolated areas of the Kruger National Park following the tragic discovery of two tourists who went missing in the park last week.
The bodies of the tourists were found on Friday near a river area in the northern section of the park after a search operation was launched when the couple failed to return to camp on Thursday evening.
ALSO READ: Elderly Couple Found Murdered in Kruger National Park in Unprecedented Attack
SANParks describes incident as unprecedented
Speaking at Skukuza on Sunday, SANParks Head of Communication and spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli described the incident as unlike anything previously experienced in the park’s history.
“I would like to extend our condolences to the family and affected friends as well. It is indeed a tragic incident. We’ve never really seen this kind of incident in the 100 years of the Kruger National Park,” Thakhuli said.
“This is the very first time that we are seeing something of this nature.”
Missing vehicle may have crossed into Mozambique
According to preliminary investigations by park rangers, the tourists’ vehicle remains missing.
SANParks said tyre tracks suggest the vehicle may have exited the park through a fence into neighbouring Mozambique.
“The vehicle has not been found, but our rangers have done some preliminary investigations, and it has been discovered that tyre tracks are actually pointing us to the car having exited the park through a fence in Mozambique,” Thakhuli said.
He added that the vehicle did not leave through any official park gate.
“We’ve got technology within the park. We have seen it as it came in, and we’ve seen it on the days that they were here in the park, but we have not seen it since Thursday when they disappeared.”
SANParks to review security in remote areas
The incident has prompted SANParks to reassess security measures in remote parts of the park despite existing surveillance technology.
“We have really high-class security technology that we are using within the park, but this incident has actually given us another process that we need to embark on in terms of ensuring that even those areas that are isolated, we can have some security there,” said Thakhuli.
SANParks said a formal statement outlining mitigation and security plans will be released later.
Support pledged to victims’ family
Thakhuli confirmed that SANParks executives and representatives from the South African Police Service met with the victims’ family on Saturday.
“We were told that the couple are people who really loved the Kruger, and it’s people who would not really get out unnecessarily into areas that are dangerous,” he said.
The family is expected to visit the park on Monday, where SANParks will assist with arrangements, including the transportation of the deceased.
“We’re really going to be supporting the family throughout the entire process,” Thakhuli added.
Environment minister briefed on investigation
Willie Aucamp, Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, said he had been briefed on the matter and had engaged SANParks leadership regarding the ongoing investigation.
“On behalf of SANParks and the Department, we extend our sincere condolences to the family of the victims during this difficult time,” Aucamp said.
“The SAPS and SANParks have located and notified the family of this tragedy.”



