Hundreds of learners across the Western Cape will not return to class on Monday as severe weather warnings continue escalating across the province.
David Maynier confirmed that schools in several parts of the Cape Winelands and Eden districts will close on Monday, 11 May 2026, following consultations with the South African Weather Service (SAWS) and the Provincial Disaster Management Centre.
ALSO READ: Cape Town weather warning: Level 6 storm alert issued as heavy rain and flooding threat grows
The closures come as an Orange Level 6 weather warning remains in place for parts of the province, with authorities warning of:
- flooding
- dangerous roads
- damaging winds
- possible mudslides
- rockfalls
Searches linked to:
- Western Cape school closures
- Cape Town storm warning
- schools closed Monday
- SAWS Level 6 warning
have surged online as parents scramble for updates.
Which areas are affected?
According to the Western Cape Education Department:
- all public ordinary schools
- special needs schools
in Circuits 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the Cape Winelands Education District will close on Monday.
This includes schools in:
- Worcester
- Ceres
- Rawsonville
- Tulbagh
- Hex River Valley
An additional 11 schools in the Eden and Central Karoo Education District will also remain closed due to damage and access problems caused by last week’s storms.
Why schools are closing
Maynier said the decision was made in the interests of learner and teacher safety following extensive consultations with disaster management authorities.
“Our default position is always to keep schools open and only close schools in exceptional circumstances, but we are mindful of the severity of the warnings in place,” he said.
Authorities expect:
- heavy rainfall
- strong winds
- dangerous travel conditions
- flooding risks
to peak on Monday.
Schools are currently expected to reopen on Tuesday, 12 May, provided conditions improve.
Heavy rain and flooding expected
SAWS has warned that:
- between 100mm and 150mm of rain
- could fall across parts of the Western Cape
during the latest storm system.
Officials have warned of:
- flooding in formal and informal settlements
- road closures
- overflowing rivers
- landslides in wildfire-damaged areas
The weather warnings also extend to coastal regions where gale-force winds and dangerous sea conditions are expected between Table Bay and Cape Agulhas.
Garden Route schools still affected
The latest closures follow widespread storm damage across the Garden Route and Central Karoo earlier this week.
Several schools in those districts remain inaccessible due to:
- flooded roads
- damaged infrastructure
- ongoing safety concerns
Authorities say the situation continues to be monitored closely.
Parents urged to monitor official updates
The Western Cape Education Department has advised parents and guardians to:
- monitor official announcements
- avoid unnecessary travel during severe weather
- follow emergency instructions where required
The department said schools affected by closures have already been formally notified and instructed to communicate directly with parents.



