In a significant milestone, Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company (TMACC) is celebrating its 94th birthday on 4 October, marking almost a century of providing awe-inspiring experiences to visitors.
This iconic attraction, nestled within the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Table Mountain National Park, has become an integral part of Cape Town’s cultural and natural heritage.
Over the past 94 years, the Cableway has achieved remarkable feats, contributed to tourism, and played a pivotal role in showcasing the unique beauty of South Africa. Here are some noteworthy highlights:
- Norwegian engineer, Trygve Stromsoe, presented plans for a cableway in 1926, and construction began soon after with the formation of the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company. It was completed in 1929.
- The Cableway commenced operation on 4 October 1929, becoming the first of its kind in South Africa.
- In 1997, a significant upgrade took place, introducing larger cable cars with rotating floors, increasing passenger capacity to 65 individuals.
- The Cableway has consistently been at the forefront of sustainability initiatives including adopting eco-friendly practices.
- Table Mountain, part of the Table Mountain National Park, is home to over 2,200 plant species, diverse birdlife, and geological wonders.
- The mountain earned its place as one of the New7Wonders of Nature, further solidifying its international significance.
As part of the 94th-anniversary celebrations, TMACC is pleased to announce a special birthday promotion:
- What: Adult return tickets priced at just R200 and child return tickets for only R100.
- When: This limited-time offer is available from Monday to Friday, throughout October 2023.
- How: Tickets can be conveniently purchased online, but with limited tickets available, early booking is advised. You will need to show a valid South African ID.
The Cableway’s Managing Director, Wahida Parker, expressed her excitement about this milestone and the ongoing commitment to providing exceptional experiences. This promotion serves as a token of gratitude to the local community for their continuous support throughout the years.
“We’re immensely proud of our 94-year journey, and we’re thrilled to share this celebration with our local fans,” she said. “Our aim is to continue being a symbol of Cape Town’s natural beauty and a source of inspiration for generations to come.”
This special promotion not only honours the past but also looks forward to a future filled with even more breathtaking moments and unforgettable experiences.